Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any E36ers out there with Racelands? Favor Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any E36ers out there with Racelands? Favor Please.

First off, I drive an '89 325i. I love the car, but the suspension (eibach's and bilstiens) leaves much to be desired. I would like a stiffer, adjustable suspension. Sooooo...

I've been in contact with raceland regarding their production of e30 coilover kits. So far, no luck. They don't make it. They don't know when they will make it. I've had racelands on a couple of my cars previously, and for the most part I liked them. In my opinion, they are hard to compete with for the price.

Anyways, I want to modify a set of e36 front coilovers to fit my e30. It looks like I could just cut off the mounting plate for the e36 spindle and slide it into a modified e30 spindle. This is where I need you. I need to know what the diameter of the front struts are at the lower unthreaded section. Also, if possible, the overall length of the whole strut. As far as I know, the rears should work without major modification.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has done something like this before, I would love to hear your input.

Thanks!

-Nick

if you are actually going to go through that hassle, cut the housings for koni g60 inserts instead, and use ground control threaded sleeves and springs.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

I've contemplated that. However, the ground control coilover sleeves are more than the whole raceland setup, and I would have to cut up the strut tubes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
        if you are actually going to go through that hassle, cut the housings for koni g60 inserts instead, and use ground control threaded sleeves and springs.
        Originally posted by BARELY LEGAL View Post
        I've contemplated that. However, the ground control coilover sleeves are more than the whole raceland setup, and I would have to cut up the strut tubes anyway.
        Then get some no-name brand coilover sleeves for like 40 bucks. If you modify e36 racelands to fit in an e30 there will be a shit storm.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

I might wind up doing that. I just like the idea of a fully threaded coilover and new strut. Just seeing if anyone else has done it.

Comment

After some back and forth with a rep from Raceland, he informed me of the diameter of the front struts. He said 50mm but I would like some conformation from someone here who is running them. Also, maybe an overall length too?

If it all works out, I think I will take the plunge and try this out.

Thanks!

Comment

hey, i was planning on popping off the struts on my E36 sometime this week (again ), and its my project car so its basically been on jacks for the past few weeks (err..years), so if you want i could just pop em off real quick tomorrow and get you those measurements if you want.

all i need to know is what part of the spindle or strut are you requesting to be measured?

*edit: oh i forgot to add, i would go for the E36 struts if i were you, i love when people pair up custom parts like that to their cars-hell i run an E46 brake conversion on my E36, so i say do it!
              Last edited by Mark Ostrowski; 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Great!

All I would need is the overall length from the bottom of the strut tube (not the bracket) to the top tube. One from the bottom of the strut tube to the top of the strut rod when fully extended. Also, the diameter of the lower strut tube where it is unthreaded. I hope I am not missing anything.

THANKS SO MUCH MARK!

-Nick

Comment

no problem, give me like a day

Comment

BUMP

Can anyone help me out?

Comment

instead of going through all this to make some shitty coilovers fit, just buy some shitty coilovers made for it. there are companies out there that make terrible quality coilovers for the e30.
                      Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

The cheapest junk I could find were cosmo's, and then they are just perches and springs. I'd rather have the whole setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                          instead of going through all this to make some shitty coilovers fit, just buy some shitty coilovers made for it. there are companies out there that make terrible quality coilovers for the e30.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

just buy egay sleeves and get custom springs made from gc to your desired spring rate, height and diamiter........Juss sayinnnnnn
                            HoodRatStatus
                            Instagram @looneylow

Comment

these are the biggest piles of shit, waste of money crap you can buy. My friends rear shock blew within 2 months, the things are absolute shit, get the sleeves instead... then at least you wont have shit for dick dampers.

Comment

Working...
                              X