Proper Shock measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Shock measurements?

Hey guys! I am building coil-overs and I had a question about getting the right shocks. I know with the dampening you either match it to the spring rate or get adjustable and see what works best, but how do you figure out what length to get? i have talked to Afco and I know that you take the center to center measurement of the mounting points at where you want the car to sit, but what do you do with that measurement? how does that translate to getting the right shock?
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Anybody?
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

So originally I was building them for a shock/spring set up but now I have abandoned that plan (lack of short enough shocks vs availability of 5.5" springs)

Im now working on coilovers for my 1995 Saab 9000 (for which there is also no aftermarket for) and Im in need of help for this. A guy recently shortened some struts and put koni race inserts in, sleeves springs and pillow ball mounts gave him a pretty legit setup. At this point Im not looking for a legit setup. I have a spare set of struts to fiddle with and I want to thro some cheap strut inserts in and shorten the struts. Im more doin this to get more familiar with my suspension ans custom suspension work than I am to go low on the cheap. I found a great thread for volvo's using Saab strut inserts as shorter alternatives (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=185709) and if I remember correctly my strut inserts on my 9000 are similar length (35ish cm) so im just curious if anyone knows of any strut inserts off the top of their head that are shorter?

Thanks!
      Alex
      Originally posted by JC.

Comment

So Ima put this here mostly for my own record and if it helps others out awesome! Ive been lookin for a replacement sport strut cartridge shorter than the factory cartridges for my saab 9000 which are around 14 inches long. Koni's race strut are around 12 inches from what I understand..

So far it looks like my best bet that I have found Is Bilsteins for a VW MK1 thanks to e21Robb
        Originally posted by e21Robb View Post
        this is pulled from a bfc thread
        bilstien sport vw mk1 strut inserts - 38.32 mm o.d. 317.50 mm long 158.75 mm travel
        Which comes out to be 12.5" Thats good.. 12" or 11" would be better though..
        Originally posted by JC.

Comment

So after a lot of looking around looks like a VW MK1 Strut insert is exactly what I want! It would be helpful to see a picture of the rod on an MK1 strut insert. Lastly does anyone know where the best place, or where at all I can get just a strut insert?
          Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Usually you can get them from Summit Racing, or a local parts depot. 9 times out of 10 Summit has what you're looking for, and since you're looking for early Golf/Rabbit inserts Summit should be able to get that stuff for you. If not, check out a few Volkswagen parts catalogs from some aftermarket companies, there's usually someone that stocks something.

Good to see you're still going hard at the coilover deal with the 9000. Most would have given up by now and bought something dump-friendly.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Originally posted by Daviticus View Post
              Good to see you're still going hard at the coilover deal with the 9000. Most would have given up by now and bought something dump-friendly.
              That would be easy.. where would the fun in that be :P

Posting this for reference the Bilstein part number for a 1980 VW Rabbit front HD strut insert is 34-001370.
              Last edited by soab; 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM.
              Originally posted by JC.

Comment

True that! I may in fact be going the short insert route for my Volvo relatively soon as well. Definitely interested to see any progress you make.
                - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Won't be much progress until I find a job. With a new semester starting it will either be easier or harder but well see. I thought I had heard these inserts were about 100 a piece but the cheapest I can find are about 170ish..
                  Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Working...
                  X