Should I cut them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I cut them...

Hey guys, my '88 Vw Cabriolet is already dropped a little bit (about 1.5'') and I'm about to buy a complete coilover kit (In probably a month or so). Until then my car still needs to be stanced So should I cut the springs on my actual suspension? Is there any problems? Will it damage my subframe? Need help on that!
    You ain't dubbin' if you ain't rubbin'

Vw '88 cabby owner

What's so hard about waiting a month?

Leave your springs alone, save yourself the trouble of doing an install twice, then sell your unmolested springs and struts (shocks?) once you install the coilovers.

Comment

I just can't sell them :P They're totally worn out... So I just wanna have fun with them while they're still on the car and not at scrap! I'll probably cut them, I just want to know if my subframe can suffer from it..

Vw '88 cabby owner

Comment

so if youre gonna do it anyways, why bother asking?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_lix View Post
          I just want to know if my subframe can suffer from it..
          I don't even get what that has to do with anything.

Also your thread title is "Should I cut them...".
          And now that you've indicated your struts/shocks are blown, then I say "no" doubly.

Comment

DO NOT CUT THEM. Please do not cut them.

Comment

cut springs are the stupidest thing ever. And with blown struts? do you know how bad that's gonna ride? your gonna bite your tongue off bouncing around the street. Might as well just go kill yourself if you hit a speed bump like that.

-Justin
              1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi

Comment

So the idea of cutting my springs is that bad? I have to say that I'm a newbie and this is why I asked the question here. This is my first car and also my first project. If I had known the idea was that bad I wouldn't have bother to ask it. So while we are there I'll ask another question. I know that raceland coilovers are budget coils, but do any of you guys have ever experienced them?

Vw '88 cabby owner

Comment

I have Racelands and they're ok.

Essentially they're bargain bin shocks in threaded casings. Overall they're on the soft side, but when installed with sufficient travel they ride 'ok'. I bought mine instead of buying a set of OE-style replacement struts because the price was pretty much the same, maybe cheaper.

I wouldn't use them as an alternative to quality coilovers, especially with the intention of going low. Setup to be 'slammed', even with extended tophats (which are not available for all cars, but probably your VW) bottoming out is a big issue.

A good rule for building cars that don't suck is "Do it right, do it once."

Comment

I'm not the kind of guy who's going very fast on the roads, I kinda roll pretty smooth. I love cars esthetics more mechanics in fact... So I guess they'll be just right for a broke student :P

Vw '88 cabby owner

Comment

Low for the sake of low is stupid. The whole "my car needs stance now" mentality is stupid. Like said earlier. Do it once, do it right. Cheaping out on suspension is one of the last things you want to do. Save up and buy quality parts.
                      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_lix View Post
                        I'm not the kind of guy who's going very fast on the roads, I kinda roll pretty smooth. I love cars esthetics more mechanics in fact... So I guess they'll be just right for a broke student :P
                        Sounds like you've already decided you're going to use crappy parts to get things done faster and you're simply justifying your decision. I don't know why you even bothered asking.

Comment

Working...
                        X