Yoshi's Family Car (MX83)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoshi's Family Car (MX83)

Anyhow here is the story behind the car. A girl at work drove it and had over heating issues (SURPRISE!). She called me one day and said she was going to take it to the scrap yard. I told her I would give her some money for it. She talked to her husband and he said $200. I asked them if they could wait till I got paid and they said no. I was bummed and told my buddy (James) about it. He said he wanted it and would pay $100 that night. So we went and picked it up. Plan was to change the head gasket and just drive it and have fun and slowly do little things to it.

Time went on and James wound up moving to Texas. Since he couldn't drive the Cressida down there he left it to me to get running and do with it as I pleased. So I brought it over to my apartment and started changing the little things like valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and all that good stuff. While the valve covers were off, for shits and giggles, I painted them.

The radiator was all busted so I replaced it.

With feeble hopes the over heating issue was due to a busted radiator I drove around only to have the car overheat and cut off. Again, not really a big surprise.

So I start the tear down to replace the head gasket.

Hoped these would help:

Intake and misc throttle bits and pieces

Radiator out

Upper intake manifold

Got the wiring harness out of the way

Lower intake manifold off

Skip ahead and I have the head off and the head studs in

Head looked rough so I took it to the machine shop only to find it was warped in an arch from front to back

So from there another friend of mine hooked me up with a 7mgte. (Yes I know... still a 7mbhgte but hey it was free)

I had an R154 full swap, pedals and all lined up but ran into money issues and wound up missing out on it.

And a few weeks ago a buddy of mine gave me these:

They are BBS RVs 15x7+42 (Not the best size/offset but again, they were a gift and are the same lug pattern as the Cressida).

And then my friends and I found a 2,000 square foot shop space for rent:

Well we got the shop and I got the Cressida there as well as some tools and random things. I did a little bit of work...

Sorry for shitty camera phone pics, I forgot my actual camera.

Motor coming out

The line up

My buddy workin on pulling the motor out of his Z

Motor out

BLAH!!!!!

Empty

Random stuff chillin

The 240

All our cars

I consider it an upgrade...

Not bad for a first day at the shop!

Day 2:

I got the front end off and most of the misc stuff out of the engine bay.

LONG exhaust

Lots of built up dirt and a few wasp nests... Yay brake cleaner...

Bumper off

Grill

Wheels waiting to go on...

Yay little steering wheel. Hub + Wheel + Shipping = 40 bucks

Got the subframe and the harness for the most part out of the way,

Everything out

Dirty

Drivers side is kinda rough

Started to take out the dash... then I was like... nvm I did get the seat out though...

Moar empty:

Need to pull more misc. items out of the bay and clean it and get it ready to paint, the same w/ subframes. If I can get the material I am going to attempt to make me some aluminum/dellerin bushings for the sub frame at Tech. Once everything is out, cleaned and painted, I'll start swappin stuff so I can get the GTE in. Until then I'm on the look out for five speed swap.

I'm pretty much going to use the Cressida to learn how to do things like make bushings, suspension arms, shave engine bay, paint, ect...

I'm thinking about painting the engine bay this color...

My buddies were in the shop and had some extra paint laying around and I think I found a color close enough... So I did a test spray with no primer just to get an idea...

That is where I am at currently...

YAY SUPAR LONG POST!
    -bump steer makes driving more exciting- (>_<) ヨシ ドリ
    Garage Tune LLC - Will try to match or beat ANY PRICE they can

Sounds interesting! I don't think we got these cars here in Germany.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Lookin good! Do you plan on doing a manual swap?
      I can photoshop stuff for ya..

Comment

That's the plan... along with making my own suspension arms, bushings, and adapting s13 coilovers to fit.

Comment

Nice, I recently picked up an R-154 for our Cressida.

Comment

I almost had a full r154 swap for 300 bucks but timing issues between me and the guy that had it and my job screwing me over for hours I missed out... I'm slightly bitter... lol

Comment

picked it up for $100

I need to buy the pedal assembly and some odds and ends, but couldn't beat the price!

Comment

This came with trans, shifter, pedals, master and slave or what ever, lines, aftermarket clutch and flywheel... everything to put it in and get it running, bolts and all. Hence why I'm bitter lol plus he was going to throw in some supra sawblades... grrr

Comment

Well at least you have a nice place to work on it... lol
                  I can photoshop stuff for ya..

Comment

Looks awesome dude..

One of my mates was going to give me a complete 7mgte with loom, comp, etc. But insead hes giving me his written off chaser with a 1j in it.. lol... I know nothing about yotas, I do know that a 1j > 7m though haha..

Thats a clean arse shop you guys have, I wish I could find something like that... Good luck with it.. Cant wait to see some more updates...
                    Originally posted by anth
                    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

lol lucky bastard haha

Comment

I like that color a lot, white wheels would look sick with that. Nice work!
                        Originally posted by da3bous
                        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Well after a long period of financial trouble and many thoughts of selling... I still have it and did finally got around to doing some work on the car.. not much but it's something until my paychecks start coming in.

I was able to get the mounts swapped from the 7mge to the gte and was able to keep the 7mgte oil filter deal so I can run an oil cooler. I was also able to clean up and paint the cross member and mounts.

Here is the cross member before:

And here it is currently:

And here are the mounts on the gte

I know it's not much but it's better than nothing.

Comment

damn im def in till the end on this one. I love cressidas.
                            3000GT-Clean daily project.

Comment

Damn i love where this is going. cressys ftw! wish i picked one up. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X