No announcement yet.

Changing rear lips - how big can I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear lips - how big can I go?

Currently at 19x8.5 et38, 2" lips. Would like to change to at least a 2.5" lip, I'd love a 3" if I could get away with it.

with no spacers:

Ideally I would like to run a 225/35 tire with a 2.5" lip - making it a 19x9. Would the bigger lip change the offset on the wheel or not?
    4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

You've got plenty of room for bigger lips, those wheels are pretty sunken. And yes bigger lips change the offset...

Comment

Changing to a wider lip does change your offset, but not your backspacing. Offset is the distance between the centreline of the rim and line of the rim on the wheel hub.

By the look in your pic, seems like you could go an inch bigger with some simple fender rolling.
      [

Comment

Originally posted by BADwayz View Post
        By the look in your pic, seems like you could go an inch bigger with some simple fender rolling.
        Do work.

Comment

I'm not being a dick, but a ruler helps solve many of these concerns. That's how I did mine. I was a little conservative on the front (because of steering), but out back I'd say I did ok.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Go with a 3 inch lip, making the wheels 19x9.5 et 26. Run a 215/35. Probably need a good roll, but it will look awesome.

Comment

Alright, here is a 19x9.5 +16 with 225/35/19. 10mm less would be perfect for me. I already scrub the lip of the rear wheels on the inner fender a little bit, so I'm still a bit scared to go all out. Don't want to bend the lip or break the quarter panel over the first big highway bump.

4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

I said 215's just to get you more fender clearance. You have rear camber arms, right? You could always just camber the rear a little more if you run into bad rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                  I said 215's just to get you more fender clearance. You have rear camber arms, right? You could always just camber the rear a little more if you run into bad rubbing.
                  Yep, mine go up to -5 degrees I think. I'm not fond of the idea of running 215s in the back, 225 is already too small. I'd rather scrub all the time than run a 215 - I have a 215 in the front right now and I'm seriously regretting that.. e46 is a comparatively heavy car so it needs bigger tires. Right now I'm at about -2.5 camber (the passenger side is probably +5 right now lol, gotta fix that)
                  4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
                    Alright, here is a 19x9.5 +16 with 225/35/19. 10mm less would be perfect for me. I already scrub the lip of the rear wheels on the inner fender a little bit, so I'm still a bit scared to go all out. Don't want to bend the lip or break the quarter panel over the first big highway bump.

:drool:

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post

if the fender is slapping the lip of the rim then just camber less so it smacks the tire

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                        if the fender is slapping the lip of the rim then just camber less so it smacks the tire
                        excellent
                        4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

i will do you a favor, and give you a picture of my 19x10 et40 dpe's lol. 10.5 ftw. but u might have backspacing problems and have to push em out more.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 10-13-2009, 11:12 PM.

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

Alright fellas, here's my resolution:

- Sending 2 wheels back to HRE as soon as possible, replacing the 2" lips with 2.5" to be safe - car must be drivable, not rubbing lip with passengers, etc. Keeping the fronts as they were for now.

- If I have even more room in the back once everything is dialed in, I'll swap the 2.5" lips to the front and send the other wheels out for 3" lips for the back.

- If I don't have more room, I'll probably be running 19x9s all around with 2.5" lip. Not bad at all, either way I'm ready to rock
                            4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

4 inch lip. stretch more and buy camber arms to camber your wheels to make it fit. do something different.
                              2006 M3 Cabrio
                              2004 ZHP Cabrio

/stanceworks\

Comment

Working...
                              X