2.5 coils cut off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 coils cut off?

If i cut 2.5 coils off my springs about how low will it drop it?

and if i get springs that are supposed to drop it 2in how far will it drop it if i cut 2.5 coils off of them?

thanks guys and sorry if this is a stupid question....
    Trying to make your domestic JDM is like doing it with your sister. Sure its possible but its still wrong and the end results = ugly child

How long is a rope?

Comment

there is no way to answer that question... each and every spring has a different spring rate, coils are spaced different, bla bla bla bla bla.. cut 1 reinstall, if you dont like it, cut out another... and repeat if necessasary

Comment

can i get an estimation?
        Trying to make your domestic JDM is like doing it with your sister. Sure its possible but its still wrong and the end results = ugly child

Comment

If you provide more information, such as what type of vehicle you are cutting the springs on, somebody MIGHT have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
            can i get an estimation?
            12 inches... honestly I have cut 2.5 coils and got less then an inch, and cut 2.5 coils and been on bump stops... put in the work, or dont do it at all.
            Last edited by LuckyBoyOne3; 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

2008 chevy cobalt base and im cuttin dropzone springs. they say they drop the car 2in....

Comment

there is no cookbook for CUSTOM work. it requires time and effort into getting exactly what you want. start small and keep progressing until your desired results. /thread.
                Originally posted by Kielan
                I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

dude dont do it lol. its going to ride like utter crap and blow out your shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by radiokilla View Post
                    dude dont do it lol. its going to ride like utter crap and blow out your shocks.
                    i cut drop springs on my mercedes.

i haven't noticed a damn difference in the ride quality.

Strictly Pleasure
                    Allen
                    82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
                    92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                      2008 chevy cobalt base and im cuttin dropzone springs. they say they drop the car 2in....
                      put the springs in as is and drive on them for a couple hundred miles. the springs have to settle before you cut them. if you cut them now, you're going to be a bit lower in 500 miles than you are now. and cut the coil along its tangent - if you don't you've just altered the entire spring design and it's going to react awkwardly....means where the coil ends cut the next coil in line in the exact same spot.

please use an angle grinder. if you don't the heat produced from any other method alters the metal and severely weakens it.

Strictly Pleasure
                      Allen
                      82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
                      92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Originally posted by Krolik View Post
                        put the springs in as is and drive on them for a couple hundred miles. the springs have to settle before you cut them. if you cut them now, you're going to be a bit lower in 500 miles than you are now. and cut the coil along its tangent - if you don't you've just altered the entire spring design and it's going to react awkwardly....means where the coil ends cut the next coil in line in the exact same spot.

please use an angle grinder. if you don't the heat produced from any other method alters the metal and severely weakens it.
                        i had planned on it but thank you for the advice. and i think im going to have a buddy do it since i shake like a dog shittin razor blades...

Comment

about 4.16 Decifeet

Comment

well when i first got my civic i cut the spring in half, 5.5 coils, it lowered it 6.5 inches and it road fine with extended top hats lol
                            HoodRatStatus
                            Instagram @looneylow

Comment

Originally posted by Krolik View Post
                              i cut drop springs on my mercedes.
                              i haven't noticed a damn difference in the ride quality.
                              i cut 1 coil on front and 1.5 in rear on my fk lowering springs in my golf. notice its a little harsher over HUGE bumps...but nothing different otherwise.

Originally posted by 4DGS View Post
                              about 4.16 Decifeet
                              lawl

Comment

Working...
                              X