Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e36 M3 Problems, Please help.

Alright if anyone can help...

My e36 1996 BMW M3 3.2L Manual. has 'died'.

So first my battery went flat. The result of that was the car spluttered to a stop. Put a external jump pack in the boot hooked up to the battery. Got home, then in the morning got a brand new battery put it in and then after a drive noticed the dash battery light was on. Then with the new battery, same thing.
    So to try to get home I got the jump pack again and swapped battery's again with a (full) borrowed one. and now it has no kick, it turns over and has a little go at starting but that's it. Was stuck on the side of the highway for hours, ended up towing it home (and cause of my after market piece of shit bumper I had to remove the whole front bar on the side of the highway to tow it.) (p.s. the bumper isn't going back on, I **** it enough to rep no bumper for the time being.)

Fuel pump works and builds up pressure until it's extremely pressurised then stops. but no start.

Talked to BMW about it and they said it is possibly the alternator ($1200). and if so why did it start and drive with the jump park the first time?

Any help and or info would be appreciated.

Cheers' guys
    Ryan
    Originally posted by Zic
    Haha, each to there own. I think e36>e30>e21>e46 ,
    - WIN ^^

alternator
    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

My Build Thread.

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.
      Originally posted by Zic
      - WIN ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
        alternator
        How do you know?
        Originally posted by Zic
        - WIN ^^

Comment

Originally posted by BMWinAUS View Post
          How do you know?
          the car runs off the alternator. so if its not working properly, the car will die. A non functioning alternator will also trigger the battery light to come on. the car can however, run for a short period of time off the battery as a backup if the alternator isnt functioning. that is why you were able to drive a little after you swapped in a new battery. but draining the battery to nothing, can kill it beyond repair. so even a charge wont help at that point.

Comment

Cheers' for the help man.

I'll be pulling out my alternator this weekend then.

Just a question so if I put a brand new battery in it again should it start again with full charge? (cause it isn't)
            or as you said is it only for a little while after the alternator goes kaput?
            Originally posted by Zic
            - WIN ^^

Comment

correct. the battery will start the car, and if no alternator is present keep it running for a short period of time.

Comment

hmm but that's the thing with a brand new battery and even tried with a fully charged jump pack on it also. and it still wont start. no doubt that might be the main problem but by it not starting i think there is another problem also.

I also have disconnected my air-con (recently have replaced a capacitor in the air-con control), + my head-unit and amps.
                Originally posted by Zic
                - WIN ^^

Comment

a jump pack isnt a constant source of power. it is only designed to get it started, so the alternator can take over and keep the vehicle running and charge the battery. if the new battery you put in was already drained, you could have killed cells in it. a battery is made up of 6 cells. if one of those cells were to die, it would bring the batteries capacity down below 10v. which is less than a car needs to get started. Also if you are using a jump pack on a battery with dead cells, it will not work. if you remove the battery completely from the system and only use the jump pack, it should crank strong but not stay running.

Comment

Hmmm Cheers 'Insert name here'
                    you have given me much to ponder upon.
                    Originally posted by Zic
                    - WIN ^^

Comment

its the alternator. but 1200$ for one?!?!?! someone is trying to rip you off. buy a used one for 50$ or something like that (thats what i normally sell them for) or take it of, and get it refurbished. 100$ish. takes 15mins to take it out, give or take.
                      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
                        its the alternator. but 1200$ for one?!?!?! someone is trying to rip you off. buy a used one for 50$ or something like that (thats what i normally sell them for) or take it of, and get it refurbished. 100. takes 15mins to take it out, give or take.
                        EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Jesus Christ drives an E36.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Comment

Yeah $1200 is from coastline BMW.
                          Will do that. Cheers' guys and if it's not that, I'll be back to steal some more knowledge.
                          Originally posted by Zic
                          - WIN ^^

Comment

Dont't buy whole alternator,and used one becouse it would be also dead. Replace only brushes modul inside it. After that check the voltage, it's should be about 14,2-14,3 VDC when the engine running.
                            Last edited by Maro; 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maro View Post
                              Dont't buy whole alternator,and used one becouse it would be also dead. Replace only brushes modul inside it. After that check the voltage, it's should be about 14,2-14,3 VDC when the engine running.
                              But my car doesn't run so I cant check the voltage of it.
                              Originally posted by Zic
                              - WIN ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X