Let's Talk Spring Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Spring Rates

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but i have been playing with cars for a while. I'm in the process of lowering my crx and get it flush but i will also be doing auto x events so i won't be scraping chassis. So it looks like 500F 650R is very common, what's the best spring rate after lowering that's very stiff for auto x. I don't care if it's not comfortable... What rates do you have, how does it feel? I don't see many stanced crx's so we'll see how this goes.

Well what struts do you have?
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

To choose proper spring rate you must take into account your cars weight, your car weight distribution (with you in it) and how much suspension travel do you want (exact numbers).

IG: PavelKostyurin

Comment

Just how low are you looking to get? Also, what wheel/tire sizes are you looking to run? Keep in mind if you're changing your wheel/tire combo for track days, you'll need to clear those with minimal/no adjustment if you want it easy.

My previous daily was a '91 Si literally slammed on some beefy 13" wheels and tires.

The pictures above are somewhat deceiving, the gap you see between the resonator and ground is just over an inch. I had GroundControl coil sleeves on all four corners with 8k [approx. 450lb/in] 7" springs. Up front I "ghetto modded" the tophats by pulling the bottom rubber bushing out and placing it on top of the top bushing, leaving the washer on the strut rod to bottom-out inside the tophat. After cutting the OEM bumpstop in half, I had roughly 2" of suspension travel before the crossmembers and LCAs would hit the ground. From there, I had maybe an extra 1/2" before the bumpstop, and an entire inch before the strut bottomed out internally. Struts were Tokico Blues, for the record. Wheels were Mahle-BBS 13x6 +13 with 215/50HR13s bulged around them.

At one point during the build I had a set of Rota Circuit-8s, 16x7 +42 I believe, on the car. Tires were mismatched 205/40HR16 China-brands. Just to show you the difference between the 13"s and tucking 16"s at the same ride height [the ride height did not change with the engine installed, fyi]:

As far as ride and handling, it was bone-jarring to say the absolute least. Granted, the car was completely stripped, save for heater core and front seats [even gutted the doors and pulled the bumper supports], and the 8k rear springs allowed the car to constantly oversteer especially on lift-throttle instances. I would rather have had 6k [~350lb/in] springs out back, and adjustable struts [KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina] to at least somewhat tune compression stiffness. The car handled like it was on rails, even with garbage tires.

My CRX, with me in it, and a half-tank of 85 octane, weighed 2104lbs.
        - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Working...
        X