Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 M3, new rims fouling the caliper. Anyone else had this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 M3, new rims fouling the caliper. Anyone else had this?

Fitted my new "baller" (lol) wheels today. Awesome fitment and wheels but fouling massively on the caliper.
    Now I havent really got much scope for spacers as they are 9j et8 as a start and when I was seeing how much Id need I had 2x3mm spacers rested on the hub and still couldnt get the wheel to clear so I reckon its gonna be 10-15mm needed.

Now I reckon I could grind off the fins from the caliper (sure Ive heard others doing this) which would give me a couple mm more but not enough and obv I cant take any more than this off from there.

What Im guessing is I either need to get the wheels machined to clear (will they be strong enough after?), different calipers (regular 328 ones maybe but that would suck as I have just replaced disks, pads and rebuilt the calipers with a new seal kit) or space out and look for wider wings (although if they look anything different to stock I probably wont want them).

Im asking on here as well as my usual UK BM and drifting forums as I know there have been some serious looking e36's come out of this site and figure someone may of had the same issues.

I will upload some pics later. They will be wet and dirty but I had to take some to show of the fitment before I took the wheels back off.

Comment

I have heard and seen people grind the caliper down, but not specifically for an E36. Spacers would be easiest, but then you'll probably poke too much. I'd say get an exact measurement of how much more space you need, then go from there.
      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
      if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
      Originally posted by Jedidiah
      he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Yeah grind down those little fins on the calipers. I doubt you would need anything more than a 10mm spacer. That's what I use to clear my brakes on my Rials which seem similar in design. The back of the wheel is completely flat with no built in hub to push the centers out a little for clearance like most wheels(creates massive lip though like yours). I have probably less than a mm of clearance from my brakes haha. I could have taken probably a few more mms off the brake fins but it wasn't necessary with the 10mm spacers. Just take measurements and get the smallest possible spacers necessary. I'd definitely get some skinnier tires too.

BTW, what happened to your fender?

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Tire sizes? bra.

Comment

10mm narrower tire, 5% shorter sidewall, 8mm spacer = solved?

Hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
              10mm narrower tire, 5% shorter sidewall, 8mm spacer = solved?

Hypothetical.
              seems like a good assessment to me.

Comment

Tbh that's the thinking now. 11mm spacers, grind off the fins and go down a size or two.
                Tire sizes are 215/45/17 Bra size is a pleasant 42DD.
                I was thinking of 215/40s anyway, these were just tyre pile stuff I fitted to trial out fitment. Wanted to try and keep the size to something common so its easier to get stuff for drifting but If I have to pay for new to make the wheels fit then I will.

Fender is rust/drift/1st time I fitted the coilys I set it to max low which was 2" lower than it is now! Bust that rusty hole out of it the first time I turned the wheel lol.

Comment

Working...
                X