Performance BMW's Car of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance BMW's Car of the Year

Alrighty, time to put our hive mind powers to use! We need all your help to become Performance BMW's Car of the Year!

The rules on how to vote are on the first photo, but in case you can't see it for some reason:

email the magazine at: pbmw@unity-media.com, with the subject line "COTY 2010".

in the body of the e-mail, give them your first, second and third choices for the contest.

finally, include your name, address and phone number. (This part is because you can win a free PBMW subscription)

Here are the photos for voting purposes:

Don't forget to vote, there's only three days left of voting so time is of the essence!
    Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

No offense, but why should it be car of the year? Sell yourself a bit here.

Based on the descriptions, there are others far more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
      No offense, but why should it be car of the year? Sell yourself a bit here.

Well, Performance BMW's ledes aren't exactly Pulitzer-worthy. But, since I'm also pretty ensconced in the restaurant biz (therefore being a relatively okay salesman), I'm willing to step outside the "do some research" shell and do all that pesky Google work for you.

I'm sure you've seen this before: http://www.stanceworks.com/2010/07/r...ould-be-proud/

And if you don't know who Robert Garrett is, here's this: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580

I'll now actually list out the reasons that make this car as dope as it is:

-Rocking the stock Roadstars, with the rear wheels (17x9) in the front and the wheels in the rear widened to (17x11). Add in the stretch and, when coupled with the stance, barely a credit card will fit between the body and the wheels. The fitment is so perfectly dialed in that we haven't even bubbled paint on the fenders - everything just works.

-Speaking of the stance, this car rests on a static setup - no bags here. These coilovers predated the whole Stance-dedicated suspension scene, so we hacked together a custom set from what seems like twenty different cars. At its lowest point, the car is around (or maybe less than) an inch off the ground, and it doesn't ride like total shit. I'd argue that sitting and making coilovers by hand almost deserves the prize outright.

-Since the diff was where most of the scraping was happening, and since we like functioning differentials, we welded on some titanium skid plates to the differential. So every time we drive and accidentally scrape (which is, well, every time we drive), we shoot titanium sparks.

-And we're not just fans of show, either. This Roadster's S52 engine was engineered to work with a set of S54 throttle bodies (and from there, we went to in-house, custom fabricated carbon fiber velocity stacks) to add some go to that show. We've also got some forged internals hiding in the engine, too, putting the redline right around 9000 rpm.

I'm not going to give you a nice, coalesced thesis statement to tie this all together. Everything I stated should be reason enough.

We're big fans of doing something different - if you noticed from the choices, it seems like there's an overabundance of race-themed or race-ready E3x's (which everybody and their uncle has done at least once). We took a car that's typically overlooked, or referred to as a hairdresser's car, and turned it into something completely different.

But seriously, this thing should sell itself. Like the Shake Weight.

Here's another website, since I'm on a roll:

jonsibal.com features Jon Sibal's digital automotive art renderings.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Damn. Kartikeya just got owned.
        [/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by AJ@Fluid MotorUnion View Post
          Damn. Kartikeya just got owned.
          hahaha seriously. Great post Andrew (I'm presuming).

Comment

like #25

Comment

I guess so. Who am I to argue that a supercharged V12 swapped E30, or a carbon bodied hill climb car, or an M3 GTR build, or a V10 swapped E30, or a twin turbo 2002 with a rear transaxle are more impressive than a stanced Z3? The forged internals are nice, though they went unmentioned in the mag.

Thanks for the snarky response though.

Congrats on the nom, but I don't think you have this one.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I guess so. Who am I to argue that a supercharged V12 swapped E30, or a carbon bodied hill climb car, or an M3 GTR build, or a V10 swapped E30, or a twin turbo 2002 with a rear transaxle are more impressive than a stanced Z3? The forged internals are nice, though they went unmentioned in the mag.

Thanks for the snarky response though.

Congrats on the nom, but I don't think you have this one.
                Eh, it's a tough field, hence the massive push to get the internet hive mind to help out. Between the large number of cars and the awkward voting system that requires almost too much information, it should be interesting to see exactly how Seandub and us both do.

Win or not, it's always neat to get nominated. It's good to know that our work is noticed, and among such sick cars, to boot.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post

Win or not, it's always neat to get nominated. It's good to know that our work is noticed, and among such sick cars, to boot.
                  100% agreed.

Comment

Working...
                  X