Advice on cutting my h&r coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on cutting my h&r coils

sup fellas, i recently got ahold of some h&r coils and installed them yesterday. rear is sitting perfect but the fronts are sitting way too high. ive let them settle, and ive compared the height with a friend running the same setup and his are still not low enough for my liking. now i know the pros and cons of cutting coils so im not here to start an argument, what id like to know is if these coils seem to have a dead coil or where would be the proper place to cut. after studying the springs i think the bottom is where i would start and id probably cut off about half a coil but keep the flat bottom so it sits correctly on the adjuster.

i moved up from raceland coils and im really hoping i dont have to mismatch the h&r rears with the rl fronts but if thats what i gotta do to run at my desired height then so be it

ill take more pictures upon request, ill be removing them again off the car and see where i can go from there. tia

same spring setup:

Oh H&Rs...I thought you wanted advise on how to cut your Hair, can't help you on either account,I don't believe in cutting springs. Spring companies spend millions of dollars on R&D of their springs and you want to spend three bucks on a cutting disk.

Only my opinion, I know lots of guys here have had great success with cutting springs and I am sure you will get the answer you are looking for. Just remember hair grows back...springs don't.

Gordo.

Comment

trust me i more than understand that. im just hoping my setup has a dead coil that i can cut down. if these springs dont allow me to do that then i wont be compromising them at all. i hope i can get some opinions soon!

Comment

bump

Comment

Uhh.....I would not cut those.
          FREEDengineering

Comment

No, you can't cut them and be safe about it. You'll change the spring rates completely.

H&R designs their products so they DON'T have dead coils. That's why H&R usually ride far nicer than Tein or eibach.

I have to ask though, why didn't you just buy adjustable coilovers and skip this headache?

Also, 1 day is not enough for springs to settle. New springs need minimum 1 week and used springs that haven't been compressed in more than a few weeks need to be settled for at least 3-4 days.

Comment

Have you checked with H&R to see if you can get a different set of springs? I had H&R coilovers on my MINI and 2 different sets of springs for the front that were different heights.
              Will design/build websites for wheels

Comment

wow is right at all of these responses. are we looking at the same pics here? not adjustable? worrying about changing spring rate!? the springs are not linear. if you cut the bottom, how the hell are you going to mount it on the lower perch? the perch probably accepts 2.25" springs or 60mm. if you are so set on modifying those coilovers, why dont you grab those 60mm springs off the raceland and see if they seat correctly. if its still too big then its 2.25". then go buy yourself the correct shorter spring with spring top and be done with it.
                Originally posted by Kielan
                I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

remove the helper spring from the RL and cut the bumpstop!
                  -Jorge-

Comment

well lucky for me the shock wasnt sitting in the collar properly. as for the person who said it wouldnt seat correctly, the h&r spring isnt flat on the bottom so cutting it wouldnt have been an issue. i was hesitant to cut them as well but now that i dont im happy and i did run the rl spring until i realized the issue, i kept the h&r's though cuz i want the fronts stiff!

Comment

So why aren't you on fully adjustable coils?

Comment

Originally posted by 4DGS View Post
                        So why aren't you on fully adjustable coils?
                        i couldnt pass up the h&r coils, they were too good of a price. theyre very stiff so thats a bonus

Comment

this is the HR cup kit? def not PCS or RSS adjustable, should have gone with either one of those kits to be honest, have PCS in my m3 and they were not expensive at all (especially in comparison to KW V3)

Comment

nice stance, turned out pretty good!
                            Low n' Slow since 93*

Comment

Working...
                            X