1jz or 7mgte cressida swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1jz or 7mgte cressida swap

about how much would it cost to swap a 1jz or 7mgte and an r154 5spd trans into a 1991 cressida?

and what work would need to be done? ive never really looked into this swap before but im really interested in it because there is a 1991 cressida for sale locally

could the stock 7mge be turbo'd? or do they have weaker bottom ends than the turbo version?

thanks for any help guys!

moved the thread to Engine and Drivetrain forum. I would go with a 1j, but that's just me.

Comment

the 7M motors need to have the head gaskets replaced all the time unless they have already been upgraded to a metal one. imo, 1jz is better. both swaps are very common though
      Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

There HAS to be something on the internet about this.

I would also go with the 1jz.

I hear that the 7mgte is a way less involved swap, but yeah... I wouls still go with a 1j.

7m's suck shit in my opinion
        Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
        Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

1jz.
          - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
            the 7M motors need to have the head gaskets replaced all the time unless they have already been upgraded to a metal one. imo, 1jz is better. both swaps are very common though
            ive heard about the HG issues with the 7m's but it wouldnt be a big deal to replace the headgasket before the motor was in the car and use some arp studs for extra insurance.

i guess it all comes down to which swap i could do the cheapest, because both motors have tons of potential

Comment

Better headgasket, stock turbo set up on the 7M is your cheapest route to go. It can make a decent amount of horsepower. My friend did it on his for a while.

1J is the way better option though. They're bulletproof, super smooth, make good power, sound amazing...and I miss mine lol

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

And as far as the swap goes, it's pretty straight forward. You'll need to order jdm/aftermarket engine brackets/mounts, there's some wiring involved, but overall, it's pretty easy. And make sure you get a front sump 1J.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

Definitely go 1JZ. A few years down the road you can splurge on a 3.0 block or a full 2JZ, lots more modding options with the 2JZ.
                  1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
                  Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

toyotacressida.net or something

Comment

Originally posted by 1985zcar View Post
                      And as far as the swap goes, it's pretty straight forward. You'll need to order jdm/aftermarket engine brackets/mounts, there's some wiring involved, but overall, it's pretty easy. And make sure you get a front sump 1J.
                      the wiring is what scvares me the most. any idea what wiring needs to be done?

Comment

Not of the top of my head. My roommates done like 3-4 1J/2J -> Cressida swaps. Check out JZXproject.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

my friend had a cressida with a 1JZ, he was gonna TT it, but it blew up.....it was old, he said the !JZ is totally worth it, him and i both loved the car, i had the competitions 89 mazda 929. very similar we both miss our old cars! i crashed mine . do the 1jz you wont regret it.

Comment

The 7MGTE will make 300 hp/tq at 18lbs boost reliably all day. As far as BHG goes, toyota's head bolt torque specs were wrong from the factory, and refused to acknowledge this. That's why the 7M has such a bad rap. Get a good aftermarket HG, arp bolts and then re-torque the bolts to 75 foot-lbs.

With that being said, the 1J would probably be more fun. I can't argue with more power. Who can?

Are you committed to going NA or turbo?

-Updated 07-29-2013- _ padraig@deathsquad.ca _ _

Comment

7m's are fukin junk jz all the way. by the car, save some money , gather parts,join jzxproject ck out my build thread on jzxproject under fuckin showoffs "project fresshida" ps i paid 200$ for my car on craigslist with a blown head gasket

Comment

Working...
                              X