Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible limitations

Hey guys,

So I received my new wheels from the USA today, Raderwerks 1-eleven S in 18x8.5 ET45.
    Now I don't know what the go is (as my car's meant to have the same running gear as a GTI and the wheels are meant to sit flush), but these rims in this size with this offset protrude from the front guards by about 10mm (haven't tried it on the rear yet).

I love the look of a little stretch and poke but it's really not the avenue I was going with my car, I was intending on having a good balance between performance and sex appeal.

I have the dilemma now as to whether I should sell them and get a set of rims that fit the way I want, or to keep them and have good stance. I would like to know of any limitations I could encounter by having these wheels with the poke/stretch when it came to the performance side of things. I won't be tracking my car but I don't refuse a sedate mountain run every now and then Bear in mind I have ordered a set of coils and will be dropping the car as low as practically possible (but still keeping above the 100mm legal limit).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Pics of my car:

10mm is no problems, if you roll the lip on the guards flat, you could get away with minimal stretch like a 215/45 or even a 235/40(which won't even be stretched)
    Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Even if you did a subtle pull on the front guards you would tuck. Or add half a degree of camber.

Something tells me you havent really looked into this much before making up your mind....

By performance do you mean massive ammounts of power? or are you affraid that the stretched tires will effect the way the car handles? If its the latter, this is the wrong forum to be on because we all know a car can perform just aswell..

Also the 100mm ride height.... might be a problem on this forum haha.
      Originally posted by anth
      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by 180roman View Post
        10mm is no problems, if you roll the lip on the guards flat, you could get away with minimal stretch like a 215/45 or even a 235/40(which won't even be stretched)
        See I didn't want to have to touch the guards at all, and I'd probably run 215's if I go ahead with them, and there's gotta be a little stretch or there's no fun! haha. I just don't know if there are any limitations to the handling/performance of the car i.e. pressure/grip issues.

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
        Even if you did a subtle pull on the front guards you would tuck. Or add half a degree of camber.

Something tells me you havent really looked into this much before making up your mind....

By performance do you mean massive ammounts of power? or are you affraid that the stretched tires will effect the way the car handles? If its the latter, this is the wrong forum to be on because we all know a car can perform just aswell..

Also the 100mm ride height.... might be a problem on this forum haha.
        Haha I know, I know. Honestly I haven't looked into it at all as I hadn't really thought about it until I got the rims tonight and though... CRAP, they stick out more than what they're meant to. I decided on the dimensions of these wheels with the knowledge of them sitting flush with the guards, and as it turns out, the Jetta isn't as similar to the Golf as they're meant to be. Your comment about how the car can perform just as well kinda helped, thanks. I'm not going to be tracking it or anything, and there's not going to be a massive amount of power going through the front wheels (max about 170kw atw).
        Last edited by maca; 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

170kw will be no dramas on a small stretch, hell dudes run 300+kw and run decent stretch.

I wouldnt sell up, Id just make it work
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
            170kw will be no dramas on a small stretch, hell dudes run 300+kw and run decent stretch.

I wouldnt sell up, Id just make it work
            Taking a rim in on Saturday to put the cheapest, nastiest tire on so I can see how it looks/pokes. I will then make my ultimate decision (unless if they're sold prior).

Comment

I would have gotten suspension first...

Comment

Working...
              X