Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Amber running light issue

Having a major head scratch here...

Just removed an homemade running light loom from Natedoggs E46 on here.

Fitted it to my E36, but not working properly. The + and - is soldered in behind the 4-pin plug on the back of the headlight assembly, picking up on the brown and grey that powers the sidelight.

The + then goes into a resistor to drop the voltage so the amber indicator glows dimmer rather than full brightness. Out of the resistor and both wires wired into the indicator bulb.

Now when i turn on my sidelights, the rears, side repeaters and fronts glow, even the green arrows on the dash! Ive wired it exactly as i took it off the E46 but having issues on mine.

I thought it was a dead short happening as all my indicators are glowing, so i switched the wires around coming from the sidelight but this just popped the fuse

Any help would be appreciated!
    Rich
    -SW|UK-
    Education - Knowledge - Power
    insta: @stinkinrich

Sorted. Needed a diode to stop the back feed to other lights.
    -SW|UK-
    Education - Knowledge - Power
    insta: @stinkinrich

Comment

haha, a diode will certainly help you out. either that or use a relay to isolate them (thats what i would do)
      Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

I don’t think a diode will do the job. You should better try separate connections for all your lightings, sure it’s hell difficult. But you could use at least a separate connection for headlights. A good motor worker who is pro in motor electric work could help you. Diode naturally increases the current drop.
        Large Machining

Comment

Back feeding through the circuit is usually caused by a bad ground in one of the lighting units, Not sure in your case but on most german cars brown is ground. Use a wiring diagram and check the wires have what they are supposed to at their sources.
          good luck I know it is a pain but it is usually something very simple.

Gordo.

Comment

Working...
          X