No announcement yet.

Cutting springs, I just can't decide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting springs, I just can't decide...

I searched around, found an old thread, but I am still 50/50 on the idea. Here is what the stance looks like now, extreme 4x4:

Right now I am on stock struts with Eibach lowering springs. The springs dropped the car 1.3 inches, but I need a lower solution until I have the money for a proper set-up. Being the car is a Kia, and there really aren't many dumb people like me to lower the car, there is only 1 set of specific coilovers for the car. I can fit 03+ Tiburon coilovers with minimal modifications, but due to school and other fun financial stuff, 1k+ in suspension is just not in the cards right now.

I know the Eibach spring rates are stiffer than stock, I could feel that in the first mile I drove the car. There is also about 2-3 dead coils on each strut, so it would be easy to take 2 dead coils off and still be in good shape. This is where my uncertainty comes into play.

I read in another thread about 50% of people were saying "do it and it will look cool, but your struts will probably blow out pretty soon."

If I cut the coils, I planned on cutting the bump stop in half so bottoming out will become less likely. Shit, as it is I have yet to bottom out, and I have taken some nasty hits since I put the springs on.

So basically, in a long way, what I am asking is: If I cut already stiffer than stock coils, cut the bumpstops, and do whatever else right, you think I would be a'ight for another 12k miles before I have the cash for some coilovers?

Thanks.

The Kia has been parted.

tl:dr

No, that's dumb.

Comment

do it if u want its up to you

Comment

i cut the dead coils on my eibachs on my 240sx, who cares. do what you gotta, and when your struts blow (which has NEVER happened to me, on 3 cars with cut coils) just remember, IT SUCKS TO ROLL HARD

Comment

your shocks wont litterally blow out or up. they will just lose there oil and become useless. they will squeak like a cunt

Comment

Oh god... please dont do this... So dangerous, you could die, you could become a vegetable... LOLZZZZ Sike!

It is fine as long as you do it right, I have rocked a ton of cut springs, cut stocks, cut lowering springs, cut springs that came from some totally different car... fuck it, for the right amount of drop, do what you gotta.

Comment

My H&Rs are cut in half in the front. Literally: they had six coils, now they have three (or less). It's a tiny bit bouncy, but the shocks are still kicking.

Edit: I should mention, however, that I have sport shocks installed.
              Last edited by CSBolger; 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

I think I am just going to head out to my cousins shop in Albany and do work. Like I said, its a temporary solution until I have more greenbacks for a proper coil over set-up. I think as long as I cut the bump stop down a little bit, I should be good to go.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

just do it, cut bumpstop in half
                  done.

itll ride finee

Comment

If the struts blow... big deal. Just forces you to get into coils a little sooner.

Comment

Now I just gotta find time to do it.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

anyone ever use one of these or something equivalent?

I know I can take the struts on and off, I have done that before and I am a mechanic, I just need a spring compression tool to do the job. Last time I drove an hour and 45 minutes to my cousins shop to use his tool, but I just want an el cheapo tool to get the job done for now.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Yes, that is the correct tool.

Comment

Working...
                          X